Friday, September 30, 2011

Rediscovery

I rediscovered my blog this evening while talking with a friend. I think it's time to dust off the thoughts and see if I can't make a go of this thing again. I'm pretty sure most of you have given up on ever seeing a post on here again, but I don't feel so bad because I've noticed that a few other friends have also stopped posting for awhile.
The biggest thing going on in my life right now is that I'm trying to sell my house. I've decided to downsize and clean up some of the debt. I need a little room to breathe financially and also would like to have a bit more flexibility otherwise too.
I recently got back from another trip east to visit family and friends. My parents and I headed to Timmins first after a quick stop over in Wawa. I hadn't been to Timmins for at least 5 years. It was time to get back there and visit my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. Grandpa is not doing well health-wise, but he's still hanging in there and we did have some good days with him while we were there.
We spent a week with Josh and Jenna. They had another baby girl August 17th and named her Hannah Alison. It was great to see the kids and get caught up with Josh and Jenna. It is so hard to be so far away from them!
This year has flown by and I can't recall most of why it's been so busy. I've started another memorizing challenge for this year. We'll see if I can do it. I'm doing 145 verses from the book of Hebrews. I've done Hebrews in quizzing before, so maybe this will be easy...

Hebrews 1:1-3, 5,8-9,&13
In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by His Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
For to which of the angels did God ever say, 'You are my Son, today I have become your Father'?, or again, 'I will be his Father and he will be my Son'?
But about the Son he says, 'Your throne O God will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.'
To which of the angels did God ever say, 'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet'?

Isn't it great to know that Jesus is 'sustaining all things by His powerful word'? Those first couple verses make me think of John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made, without him nothing was made that has been made.
These verses affirm that God's Son Jesus created the world and is sustaining the world today.
Jesus has been at work on this earth since the day it began. He created it, he provided salvation for its inhabitants and he continues to sustain it until the day comes when it will be destroyed and a new heaven and new earth take its place. Glad to know we're in good hands right?
This chapter gives us another pretty good picture of Jesus' roles in the trinity. It is amazing that God gives us these glimpses of how things started, and how things work.

Well those are my verses for chapter 1. These are the same key verses as what were used when I was in quizzing. This is pretty much review for me. It's good to know that all that work I put in years ago is still paying off today.

No comments: