Saturday, May 28, 2005

Wow! It's been a long time!

Hey everyone! I know it's been a really long time since I last posted. Sorry about that. Where to start?! Life has been really crazy busy! I started my new job at the Credit Union 3 weeks ago. It is going really well and I love the work since I get to be with people all the time and get to talk to all sorts of people. It's fun! I really hope my attitude reflects Jesus. Last weekend, the topic of Christian complacency came up again. I feel really frustrated with myself and how I keep on falling into the same old trap of feeling too comfortable in my life. Sherry asked us some good questions on the way home from Fisher Bay. We want to start doing some ministry stuff with our college and career group. Last night a bunch of us girls baked cookies and brought them to some people in our church that needed special thought. It was a start anyway. We don't do stuff like that nearly often enough. It felt so good to work last weekend and know that we were making a bit of a difference for the coming summer. Last time I was in the college and career we talked about the will of God for our lives and came to the conclusion that it really is the same for all of our lives, to live our lives for him, loving him and loving people. Whether I work as a missionary or at the Bank I can show God's love to people. It is so easy to become complacent here in Winkler. "Everyone" is a "Christian". I really have to work in order to become excited about doing ministry work or even just saying something in defense of my faith or about what I believe. I don't get a lot of challenges or anything, but if anything questionable comes up in a conversation or people start gossiping, I really have to think whether to say something or not. I really want to be passionate about my faith and Love for God, but some mornings it's hard to motivate myself to get up the half hour earlier just so I can do my devotions. If I can't even read God's Word willingly, how am I supposed to do His will? I've been reading about David in first Samuel lately. He was called a man after God's own heart. He was still sinful, but he had God's will first in his mind. Instead of killing Saul, he thought about the fact that Saul was the anointed king and that he shouldn't be the one to kill Saul. God had put Saul in the position of king and God should be the one to take the position away. I probably would have rationalized that God was "using" me to do his "will". How would it have been God's will to kill Saul, when it is God's will that we love God and love people? David must have thought of that. Because David didn't take things into his own hands, he was blessed by God and ended up becoming the next king. Well...Those are some of my thoughts lately. I know I never finished my story, but I will write it out by hand and finish it on paper before I post the rest of it.
I hope you all have a great weekend! ttfn.

1 comment:

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

hey, welcome back Beth! Great post...wish I could have been there @ Fisher Bay...hey we've only got one lesson left in the book for c&c, then we need something else to do - sounds like you've got some ideas :) You're right about the complacency thing in Winkler, but while a lot of my friends used that as an excuse to go on an 'exciting'missions trip some where cool, I try to see every day as a mission trip. Someone's gotta do the work in an uncool place like Winkler too.