Sunday, December 31, 2006

what's been going on lately??

Just a normal week at Tauernhof..:) So..basically there are 6 kitchen/house girls and we are split into two groups and alternate between cleaning and cooking. We do 2 camps and then switch. I am on the cleaning crew for this camp which started on Wednesday. I usually get up at around 7:00, but some mornings I am on breakfast duty..so I get up at around 5:45 instead. For cleaning I am responsible for 2 floors. My duties: Vacuum all the floor space on each floor, including the guest rooms. That is approximately 11 rooms. Clean all the showers and toilets. 8 Showers and 5 toilets. Mop all the floors which are not carpeted. I do this from 9:45-12:20. Yes it is a lot of work for that time period!! After I get all this done I help serve lunch and clear lunch and clean up after lunch which brings us to 2:30 or so. I get time off from 2:30 till 5:00 or so. Then I help prepare supper and clear supper and clean up after supper which brings us to 7:30 which is lecture time. We have some singing and then the lecture. Usually Hans Peter speaks, but sometimes Eis does. Almost all of the camps are German so of course the lecture is in German. ;) We are not required to be at lecture every night, but so far I am actually doing fairly well with understanding and so I've been going. Tonight the lecture starts at 8 and goes till 10 then we are going for a night hike up into the mountains to watch the fireworks. Awesome!! After doing that..we'll hike back and have some hot chocolate and go to bed around 2:00 am. I am actually still debating going since I have to help with brunch tomorrow at around 8:00. Soo..tomorrow I turn 20. No longer a teen. :( I can't get away with childishness anymore I guess. ;) Tuesday I have the day off. I wonder what I'll do?? Yesterday I went for a hike up into the mountains along the Talbach River. Beautiful!! A little slippery and treacherous since there was a drop off on one side of a very narrow path. The views of the mountains and the waterfall was worth it though. It took me and Hilde about one and a half hours to make it all the way around. I finally got myself some hiking boots and not for too bad a price either. On sale for €69.90. Today I have more time off since it is Sunday, but I have been up since 6:45 and already cleaned 3 toilets and 2 showers and mopped and vacuumed two floors. :) This is unusual for a Sunday. Usually the camps don't go over the weekend. This is the longest camp. It has been fun getting to know all the staff a bit. The girls are a lot of fun!! Even if they order me around in German sometimes ;) One of the other kitchen girls is Canadian too. Yesterday she was wearing a t-shirt which said "hug a Canadian today". Of course I hugged her. :) On Monday evenings I am signed up to work in the Bistro (coffee shop) in the mainhouse. I will be learning how to make capuccinos with an espresso machine. Fun!! The coffee here is really good! And the cheese..and the bread..and basically just all the food. (Mom..they don't make nearly as good spaghetti as you though, or apple pie for that matter :) All you people at work...I get to run up 5 flights of stairs at least a dozen times a day..if not more. A girl here has asked me to go running with her every once in a while so I am going to be in good shape when I get back. :) Anyway..that's my life for right now. Pretty much Awesome. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, so you must be losing weight by now, huh? Just like every other time you leave home. Sounds like you are really having a good time. That's good. I hope you enjoy your birthday! Won't be quite the same at the party tonight without you:)

Anonymous said...

Of course nobody could come close to Mom's apple pie, maybe Myrna's a close second (no offense to our friends, I do love apple pie). With respect to making coffee, please let them know that a pre-heated cup is essential to long-lasting good cup of coffee.
Happy Birthday, looking forward to chatting with you tomorrow.

Love Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

Well we had a good time at the church but we didn't sing happy birthday to you like usual. So happy birthday anyway. sounds like you are quite busy.
Les

Anonymous said...

Well we had a good time at the church but we didn't sing happy birthday to you like usual. So happy birthday anyway. Sounds like you are quite busy.
Les