Friday, November 26, 2004

Does It Ever Sink In?

Have you ever said anything that made you feel really stupid? That if you had thought it through a bit more you wouldn't have said what you did?
I had that experience this morning. Tim was pointing stuff out to me and naming them, trying to be funny. He pointed at the thermostat and said, "That's the thermostat" then he pointed at the smoke alarm and said, "that's the smoke alarm" finally he pointed to the doorbell box and said "that's the doorbell". Then I (not trying to be funny but managing very well to be exactly that) said, "Really? I didn't know that." The sad thing is that I really didn't know. I had never really thought about where the sound for the doorbell came from. It had never been important enough for me to think about.
Too often I am the same way with other things that are far more important. I just happened to have the song "People Need The Lord" stuck in my head today. My Dad often goes around the house either singing, humming, or whistling this song. He would also remind me that "people need the Lord" whenever I would comment on all the junk happening in the world. So whenever I would hear the song I would think of all the unbelievers out there who "need the Lord". Just today I finally stopped to think that believers need the Lord almost just as much as unbelievers. Yeah, we're saved eternally, but we still need God to continue to save us from the power of sin each day. I think it's going to take a lifetime for that to sink in.
I Corinthians 10:13
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."
ttfn,
Beth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was just an awesome couple of thoughts!