Thursday, December 09, 2004

Wonder upon wonder

I was just recently reading in Isaiah and came upon a passage in chapter 29:13-14. It says:
The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder;"
He goes on to tell what He will do in order to win His people back from their sin.
I read about the Israelites and kinda laugh and think "What is wrong with these people? They were given Miraculous signs over and over again and they still turned away!"
Yet on the other hand I'm exactly the same. I don't think that I can say that I would be different in their situation.
God gives us wonder upon wonder in so many things. John 1:12-13 the right to become children of God, John 16:7-8 He sent the Holy Spirit to us to guide us. The whole Bible points toward the wonder of salvation through Jesus, there are many more "wonders" that would take hours to write down. God has shown me all these wonders, but I constantly take them forgranted. When I sing worship songs I am often too "busy" thinking about other things rather than using the time to actually worship God with more than my mouth.
To be brutally honest, I could probably look at one of those pharisees that I always laughed at in sunday school, and see myself. (horrors)
The other day I was complaining to my mom about how complacent all the Christians in Winkler are. I realize that is a really general statement, but sometimes it really feels like that's the way it is. We have missionaries come to our church every once in a while and it just feels like a normal thing. Or we have special speakers come to town and it gets advertised in the newspaper and all the pastors are made aware of it but only a dozen or so people show up at the meetings.
I'm exactly the same way though. As long as nothing wrecks my world I'm happy. I was probably complaining more about myself than anyone else. I'm all for people doing mission work or helping out with money, but when it comes to me, I brush it off saying, "someone else will do it."
I'm a terribly self-righteous person and always find some way to forgive myself for my actions or lack thereof.

As I lift my Hands by Philmore

Lord I know my own righteousness is as filthy rags to You
so change me, cleanse me, purify me, make me white as snow
And even if I run one thousand miles away from You
I know that You're always just one step away

As I lift my hands before You
Jesus, oh how I adore You
I worship You, I worship You

Isaiah 64:6

Now after stating all these things maybe I can try to do something about them in my own life. Please hold me accountable. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, good song! good post too!