Sunday, January 14, 2007

New Camp..New Language

We have a new group here. They're Norwegians. They spent 48 hours in 2 buses to come here. Crazy!! They got in at 3 am and boy were they ever loud. They decided to explore upstairs and just came into our room in the middle of the night. Weird. Apparently the whole privacy and modesty factor isn't as big a deal to them. It's really nice that I don't have to listen to German as much this week though. Only English. I have to do a devo on Thursday so I am excited that I don't have to have it translated. So far..other than the middle of the night thing..the group seems to be really fun and nice. Today I had half of the day off and spent most of the time just relaxing and reading. I am reading a book called "If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat" and I am also reading "Kingdom of the Cults". Really good!! It is great to be able to keep my English. I find myself dumbing down my English to be able to communicate and I lose half of my vocabulary. Last night before the Norwegians came, we had a small staff get together with about 10 people. We made sushi and had homemade personal size fruit pizzas (made by myself with two other girls). Such fun!! I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually like sushi. After that we hung out and goofed off for a while. I showed off my arm wrestling skills and Hilde showed off her wrestling skills and took down Grace a couple of times. Rebecca and Ilona and Nif showed off they're line dancing skills. Crazy people! Afterwards we went and watched Ice Age 2. Funny movie and we were all super tired so it was even more funny. Finally went to bed at 12:00 am. Anyway..here's a great encouraging passage of scripture I read today
Philippians 2:4-11
Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
And a song that just popped up on my playlist as I was typing...

The Face of Love by Sanctus Real
IÂ’ve seen your face on stained glass, in colored lights
In pictures of you looking to the sky
YouÂ’ve been portrayed a thousand different ways
But my heart can see you better than my eyes
‘Cause it’s love that paints the portrait of your life

The face of love
The face of love
You look more like love everyday

IÂ’ve read your words in the pages of your life
And IÂ’ve imagined what you were like
I may not know the shape of your face
But I can feel your heart changing mine
And your love still proves that youÂ’re alive

The face of love
The face of love
You look more like love everyday

You are the face that changed the whole world
No one too lost for you love
No one too low for you to serve
So give us the grace to change the world
No one too lost for me to love
No one too low for me to serve
Let us see... Let us be your face

I have really had servanthood and a humble attitude on my heart lately. It's kinda hard not be feel humbled when you clean up other people's messes all the time. :) But it is more than that, it's having joy in the midst of doing that. Smiling when people hand you cutlery covered in slime and ketchup. Laughing when someone accidently spills leftover food all over your hands. Funny story...One of the guys, who is a ski instructor here, decided to help put the cutlery into the trays for the dishwasher. The whole time he did it he was mumbling under his breath "Nasty!". I couldn't help laughing at him especially since he has a really fun accent. Australian. So many people here from different countries. Norway, Holland, Germany, Australia, Canada, Austria, US and I'm sure there are more. :) I've gotta hit the sack. Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I just typed a nice long comment, and it all got deleted for some strange reason! SO, I will try again. I'm imagining you experience to be much like living at camp as kitchen help for an entire six months! I feel for you on the dirty dishes and slimey cutlery thing. Sounds like you are having fun, and learning some new stuff along the way! Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're having a good time- thanks for the updates, pic are good :-) -Margarita