Monday, February 08, 2010

A Challenge

So today, I came up with an idea while I was running on the treadmill and staring at the wall. I thought to myself "I should really get back into memorizing scripture again." I used to be a Bible Quizzer and still help out with the program at church quite often. The kids memorize around 145 verses in the school year (sometimes more, sometimes less) and then they compete against each other. It's a really great program that encourages study and memorization of Scripture and a little competition never hurts either. :)
So I started thinking about which books of the Bible I would really love to have memorized. The books that the quizzers are doing this year are 1st and 2nd Corinthians. Pretty awesome! Those were the first books I memorized as a quizzer. :) So the book that I have decided to tackle is Philippians. I love the book and have done some study in it and it would be so great to have it stored in the memory vault. I thought it might be a good idea to start memorizing while I'm running or even throughout the day whenever I have a couple of minutes. It used to only take 15 minutes for me to memorize a pretty good chunk, but I'm sure it'll take the old brain a little longer these days. I've decided to start at about 2-3 verses a day and see how that goes.
It may sound a little overwhelming when you think back to those Sunday School verses you had to memorize as a kid, but I find it a lot easier to memorize passages. Once you have a firm grasp on the context and thought process of the writer, it just flows easily.
Philippians has 4 chapters and 104 verses. Piece of cake!
So if there are any determined (or just bored) people out there who would like to get some scripture memory in, let me know! I would love to have an accountability partner! Each day I will post the verses I've memorized and possibly an interesting tidbit from my day. haha
Here are today's verses:

Philippians 1:1-3
Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons: Grace and Peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God every time I remember you.

No comments: